taniabotes

Tania's Book Circus

I adore reading and have very wide and varied taste.  Some of my favorite genre's include historical fiction, memoirs, fantasy and non-fiction.  Some of my best-loved titles are Sandcastle girls, Poisonwood bible, Daughter of the forest, Knife of never letting go, The snow child, The glass castle and Wolf Hall.  I love Juliet Marillier, Jodi Picoult, Philippa Gregory, Deon Myer and Bill Bryson.  I read approximately 120 books a year, and I try to keep my reviews short and to the point, so you can spend less time reading them and more time reading the books you'll enjoy.  Happy reading!

The six wives of Henry VIII - Alison Weir

The Six Wives of Henry VIII - Alison Weir

I’ve read some Phillipa Gregory and Hillary Mantel titles about Henry VIII and was totally entranced. Which is weird because I’m Afrikaans, live in South Africa, and never even had history at school. The only problem with the historical fiction titles, is that they only deal with one or two wives at a time, so I could never get a complete picture. I also wasn’t sure how much of the stories I’ve read was fictionalized. So I decided to try a non-fiction, and I was very impressed by Alison Weir. Her research was extremely thorough, but the book never comes across as academic. I have a much better understanding of Henry and why he made the choices he did. I thought it would be a fun idea to share a fact about each wife instead of doing a review:

1. Catherine of Aragon – “The queen had conceived six, possibly eight times, yet all she had to show for it was one daughter.” Divorced
2. Anne Boleyn – “...thus effectively crowning her as queen regnant, as no other consort has been before or since.” Executed
3. Jane Seymour – “When Henry VIII died, he left instructions that he was to be buried with Jane.” Died
4. Anne of Cleves –“Her handling of a difficult and potentially dangerous situation shows that she was, perhaps, the wisest of Henry’s VIII’s wives.” Divorced
5. Catherine Howard – Henry married Catherine when he was 49 and she somewhere between the ages of 15 and 19. Executed
6. Catherine Parr – “She wrote and published two books.” Widowed