taniabotes

Tania's Book Circus

I adore reading and have very wide and varied taste.  Some of my favorite genre's include historical fiction, memoirs, fantasy and non-fiction.  Some of my best-loved titles are Sandcastle girls, Poisonwood bible, Daughter of the forest, Knife of never letting go, The snow child, The glass castle and Wolf Hall.  I love Juliet Marillier, Jodi Picoult, Philippa Gregory, Deon Myer and Bill Bryson.  I read approximately 120 books a year, and I try to keep my reviews short and to the point, so you can spend less time reading them and more time reading the books you'll enjoy.  Happy reading!

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There - Cathrynne M. Valente

The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There - Ana Juan, Catherynne M. Valente
"A book is a door, you know. Always and forever. A book is a door into another place and another heart and another world."

Even though Fantasy is not my favorite genre, this is series is exquisite. One reason for this is that Cathrynne M. Valente is so original when inventing characters. In this book I loved Avogadra (a Monaciello), Belinda Cabbage (a Fairy Physickist), Maud (a Shadow) and Nod (a dream-eating Tapir) best. She breathes live into every object, even a market becomes a character in her world. Secondly she is a magician with words, I wanted to savour certain paragraphs and read them again and again. Here is an example:

"She did not know yet how sometimes people keep parts of themselves hidden and secret, sometimes wicked and unkind parts, but often brave or wild or colorful parts, cunning or powerful or even marvelous, beautiful parts, just locked up away at the bottom of their hearts. They do this because they are afraid of the world and being stared at, or relied upon to do feats of bravery or boldness. And all those brave and wild and cunning and marvelous and beautiful parts they hid away and left in the dark to grow strange mushrooms-and yes, sometimes those wicked and unkind parts, too-end up in their shadows."

my review of the first book in the series

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13538708-the-girl-who-fell-beneath-fairyland-and-led-the-revels-there