taniabotes

Tania's Book Circus

I adore reading and have very wide and varied taste.  Some of my favorite genre's include historical fiction, memoirs, fantasy and non-fiction.  Some of my best-loved titles are Sandcastle girls, Poisonwood bible, Daughter of the forest, Knife of never letting go, The snow child, The glass castle and Wolf Hall.  I love Juliet Marillier, Jodi Picoult, Philippa Gregory, Deon Myer and Bill Bryson.  I read approximately 120 books a year, and I try to keep my reviews short and to the point, so you can spend less time reading them and more time reading the books you'll enjoy.  Happy reading!

Boat girl

Boat Girl: A Memoir of Youth, Love & Fiberglass - Melanie Neale
There were lots of people and lots of places, and none of them felt like home

3.5 stars. I enjoyed this coming of age story. I've never thought about what it would be like growing up on a sailboat, and what I got from this book is that it would be a different experience for each person. Some people choose this lifestyle because it would expose them and their children to more things in life, and some because you could protect yourself and your children much easier from any influences that you were trying to avoid. Melanie's parents (dad) definitely fell into the last category. Although the boating bit of the book was fascinating, for me the best part of the book was watching her grow up. I liked how honest the author was about herself and her life. I could really connect with her as a person, and I walked away from Boat girl feeling like I knew her. I highly recommend this to anyone wanting to read a well written book on an alternative lifestyle.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/519345099