taniabotes

Tania's Book Circus

I adore reading and have very wide and varied taste.  Some of my favorite genre's include historical fiction, memoirs, fantasy and non-fiction.  Some of my best-loved titles are Sandcastle girls, Poisonwood bible, Daughter of the forest, Knife of never letting go, The snow child, The glass castle and Wolf Hall.  I love Juliet Marillier, Jodi Picoult, Philippa Gregory, Deon Myer and Bill Bryson.  I read approximately 120 books a year, and I try to keep my reviews short and to the point, so you can spend less time reading them and more time reading the books you'll enjoy.  Happy reading!

sad but beautiful

Between Shades of Gray - Ruta Sepetys
Our country is doomed, don't you see? Our fate is genocide, no matter whose hands we fall into

3.5 stars. Between shades of Gray looks at the lesser known genocide in World War II. In 1939 the Soviet union occupied the Baltic states and started with the mass deportation of all people considered anti-Soviet. Ruta Sepetys tells us this story through the eyes of fifteen year old Lithuanian, Lina. As expected it was sad and shocking, but somehow also uplifting. I know I've said this before but I can never get used to these crimes against humanity, specifically against the children. My heart broke into a thousand little pieces for the the girl with the dolly.
I loved that this book introduced me to (yet another) part of history I knew nothing about, and will definitely be reading more books on this subject.

I wanted to roll the hate up into my mouth and spit it back in his face

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/385245295