taniabotes

Tania's Book Circus

I adore reading and have very wide and varied taste.  Some of my favorite genre's include historical fiction, memoirs, fantasy and non-fiction.  Some of my best-loved titles are Sandcastle girls, Poisonwood bible, Daughter of the forest, Knife of never letting go, The snow child, The glass castle and Wolf Hall.  I love Juliet Marillier, Jodi Picoult, Philippa Gregory, Deon Myer and Bill Bryson.  I read approximately 120 books a year, and I try to keep my reviews short and to the point, so you can spend less time reading them and more time reading the books you'll enjoy.  Happy reading!

The first rule of swimming

The First Rule of Swimming - Courtney Angela Brkic
"In the beginning was the sea," she said, so that Luka's heart expanded, exactly as wind filled a white sail. "And the sea was God."

3.5 stars. I chose this book because of it's beautiful cover, and in this instance it's okay to judge the book by its cover.

There were many things I enjoyed about this book:
1. The authors description of the love you can feel for a physical place.
2. The description of the relationship between siblings, not only Jakandra and Magdalena, but also Luka and Vinka, and Marin and Ana.
3. The way the author shows you a characters actions and only later gives you their background, which enables you to interpret their actions differently.
4. The fact that none of the characters were perfect.
5. The vivid picture she paints of life on a small island of the coast of Croatia.

I will definitely read more by Courtney Angela Brkic.

The Story: A woman must leave her Croatian island home to search for her missing sister and confront the haunted history of her family.

*Netgalley copy