taniabotes

Tania's Book Circus

I adore reading and have very wide and varied taste.  Some of my favorite genre's include historical fiction, memoirs, fantasy and non-fiction.  Some of my best-loved titles are Sandcastle girls, Poisonwood bible, Daughter of the forest, Knife of never letting go, The snow child, The glass castle and Wolf Hall.  I love Juliet Marillier, Jodi Picoult, Philippa Gregory, Deon Myer and Bill Bryson.  I read approximately 120 books a year, and I try to keep my reviews short and to the point, so you can spend less time reading them and more time reading the books you'll enjoy.  Happy reading!

Whistling Past the Graveyard

Whistling Past the Graveyard - Susan Crandall
"My daddy says that when you do somethin' to distract you from your worstest fears, it's like whistlin' past the graveyard. You know, making a racket to keep the scaredness and the ghosts away. He says that's how we get by sometimes. But it's not weak, like hidin'... It's strong. It means you're able to go on."

I absolutely adored Starla, She is such a feisty, compassionate and hot-headed little girl. She is one of my best-loved characters ever. I thought her voice was very authentic. I know a few nine year olds, and they tend to alternate between being extremely naive and wise beyond their years.

The backdrop for Whistling past the graveyard is 1963 Mississippi, so obviously racial tension and segregation plays a big part in the story. The book allows us to step into the characters shoes and feel what it’s like to be invisible or hated because of the colour of your skin. But this is just the background for the real story. A story which made me nervous, happy and sad.

My initial criticism was that the characters were a bit too simplistic, in that they were either good or bad, but then I realized that I’m seeing them through the eyes of a child, and for kids everything is still very much black and white.

I highly recommend this coming of age story to anyone who enjoyed The Help and To Kill a Mockingbird

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/585496753