taniabotes

Tania's Book Circus

I adore reading and have very wide and varied taste.  Some of my favorite genre's include historical fiction, memoirs, fantasy and non-fiction.  Some of my best-loved titles are Sandcastle girls, Poisonwood bible, Daughter of the forest, Knife of never letting go, The snow child, The glass castle and Wolf Hall.  I love Juliet Marillier, Jodi Picoult, Philippa Gregory, Deon Myer and Bill Bryson.  I read approximately 120 books a year, and I try to keep my reviews short and to the point, so you can spend less time reading them and more time reading the books you'll enjoy.  Happy reading!

Dear Lucy - Julie Sarkissian

Dear Lucy: A Novel - Julie Sarkissian

"the dirt that was underneath the car chases behind. the dirt doesn't want to be left behind. it liked the feeling of something touching it from above. it doesn't want that feeling to leave. But just because you want a thing to be yours doesn't mean it stops being able to leave."

3.5 stars. Dear Lucy started a bit slow, and it took me two or three chapters to get used to Lucy's unique voice. But once I got into it, I thought the author did an amazing job of getting us inside the head of a mentally challenged grown up girl. Lucy is mostly a good girl, but every now and again, when things don't go her way or she does not understand what is happening in the world around her, she gets stuck. And for me these descriptions of what is happening in her brain while she gets stuck is the best part of the book. I thought this was done even better than The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

The story is not only about Lucy's voice though it looks at relationships gone wrong between mothers and daughters. Firstly we meet Lucy, whose mother has problems dealing with her special needs, and who abandons her. Secondly, we are introduced to Missus, who can't bear children, and who becomes obsessed with giving her husband a boy. Samantha has given up her baby for adoption, and now has to deal with the consequences. As you can gather this is not an easy story, but I thought it was done brilliantly. I can't wait to see what Julie Sarkissian will do next.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/585494072