taniabotes

Tania's Book Circus

I adore reading and have very wide and varied taste.  Some of my favorite genre's include historical fiction, memoirs, fantasy and non-fiction.  Some of my best-loved titles are Sandcastle girls, Poisonwood bible, Daughter of the forest, Knife of never letting go, The snow child, The glass castle and Wolf Hall.  I love Juliet Marillier, Jodi Picoult, Philippa Gregory, Deon Myer and Bill Bryson.  I read approximately 120 books a year, and I try to keep my reviews short and to the point, so you can spend less time reading them and more time reading the books you'll enjoy.  Happy reading!

Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

"The world was silent when we died"

This was not an easy book to read. Once again I have to hang my head in shame and admit that I knew nothing about this part of history before reading Half of a Yellow Sun. What is tragic though is how similar the histories of many of the African countries are. I always say that I don't get scared by any fantasy or horror books about vampires or ghosts etc. The only books that really scare me are books about war, and especially wars in Africa. It always happens so quickly- yes, you can see some signs that trouble's brewing, and then in an instant we're talking massacre's and genocide. Living in South Africa this is all very real to me.

"At independence in 1960, Nigeria was a collection of fragments held in a fragile clasp"

I appreciated that the author showed us a picture of what happened before, during and after the fight for independence. I always wonder what happens after the war. How do people that killed each other the week before become neighbours and live in peace. For me this was a book about the things people do to each other, be it on a societal scale like war, or on an individual scale in relationships. The story reminded me a bit of The Diary of a Young Girl as it shows that live goes on, and that people still focus on the mundane daily activities, no matter what atrocities are currently happening around them.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's writing is elegant and captivating. So much so, that I've been unable to start another book after finishing this one.

The story: In 1960s Nigeria, a country blighted by civil war, three lives intersect. Ugwu, a boy from a poor village, works as a houseboy for a university professor. Olanna, a young woman, has abandoned her life of privilege in Lagos to live with her charismatic new lover, the professor. And Richard, a shy English writer, is in thrall to Olanna's enigmatic twin sister. As the horrific Biafran War engulfs them, they are thrown together and pulled apart in ways they had never imagined.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/372006239